1. Remove the faucet handle to gain access to the stem
2. Use a basin wrench or pliers to loosen the packing nut on top of the stem
3. Turn off water supply by turning it clockwise
4. Pull out old packing material from around the base of stem and replace with new one
5. Replace faucet handle and turn on water supply, making sure there are no leaks!
6. Remember that if you have an older style faucet, you may need a professional for this job because these types can be difficult to remove without breaking them in half!